Two Buddhist Monks In Drunken Knife Fight ‘Over Spirituality’

Two Buddhist monks were injured when they had a whiskey-fuelled knife fight following an argument about spirituality.

Suchat Puilor, 53, and fellow monk Wannop Rerngjai, 52, had finished pruning branches in the grounds of the temple in Ang Thong, Thailand, when they decided to buy liquor to celebrate the day’s work.

But they started arguing about the best way to teach younger students the principles of Buddhism and how to organise temple activities before coming to blows on the wooden teak porch of their home in Ang Thong, Thailand.

Suchat allegedly returned moments later with the serrated-edged metal gardening blade and attacked his friend with it causing a bloodbath outside the hut. The injured monk then grabbed his own gardening cutter as they grappled on the floor before the first monk fled.

Police were called and arrived at 11pm to find walking wounded Wannop with blood pouring from cuts on his head and back while Suchat had disappeared.

Injured Wannop was bandaged up and taken to hospital where his condition was stable. Suchat was arrested a short time later after he returned home where he was interviewed then carted off in a police pick-up truck to be held in custody.

Injured Wannop told police the quarrel started when the pair of men were discussing ”how to teach Buddhism to young students”.

He said: ”I have to admit that we were arguing then the other monk returned with a knife and attacked me with it. There was a struggle and I tried to throw the knife away. He ran away, then I called police.”

Speaking on video at the scene, alleged attacked Suchat showed off his swollen eye and two cuts across his chest which he claims were inflicted by the other monk in the machete struggle.

He said: ”I ran away but it was my plan to return and then surrender myself. He is my closest friend.

”Before this happened we were cutting down tree branches together and cutting the grass inside the temple grounds. We thought it was a good idea to buy whiskey to celebrate the day’s work.

”During the drinking session we disagreed about the best way to teach Buddhism and planning temple worshipping, then started arguing loudly and punching each other.”

Police said they were still waiting to interview the injured monk, Wannop, who was sleeping off his hangover and recovering from his wounds in hospital.

Lieutenant General Nikon Kampukaew from the Pa Mok district police station said he was notified by one of the temple residents at 11pm about the ”drunken monks”.

He said: ”Phra Wannop was found injured with wounds in his chest and arm and on the back of his head. The other monk Phra Suchat had fled. He was the person who caused the injuries.

”There was a 60cm long knife on the ground. Phra Suchat was later found in pain with swelling on his face and wounds on his chest.

”From the preliminary investigation, Phra Suchat said he had been drinking liquor with the other monk then they started arguing about a temple ceremony.

”He admitted using a knife in the fight with the other monk then leaving the area. When he returned the police were here.

”We are now waiting for the Phra Wannop’s condition to improve so he can be interviewed before we proceed with the case.”

  • Add Your Comment