A ten-year-old boy was killed in a freak double tragedy after running to help his father who had just been electrocuted while fixing their swimming pool.
Andrew Fenwick, 66, had been using a metal wrench to fix the pump next to the pool at their home in Rayong, Thailand.
But Andrew, who was Australian but born in Devizes, Wiltshire and previously worked in the U.K., was electrocuted by a suspected water leak among the cables.
Jason was killed when he ran to help his father – stepping in a puddle which the current surged through and killed him.
Andrew’s second son Justin, aged four, witnessed the accident and ran crying into the street for help on Monday at 4.30pm.
Thai wife Somrudi Krailob Fenwick, 41, was alerted by neighbours and she returned home and broke down in tears at the poolside.
Somrudi told police that she was not in the house but returned home after neighbours discovered the bodies.
Speaking at the scene after the accident, she said: ‘’This is terrible. I’m heartbroken. My husband and son gone at the same time.
‘’Andrew was so confident with tools, he was an engineer. I don’t know how this has happened. I cannot understand it. Life is so cruel to take them both.”
Andrew had been an engineer and worked in the UK before retiring to Thailand. He had two sons with Somrudi.
The four-year-old boy who found the bodies ran crying into the street and alerted security guard Komin Jittiworaphan, 51, who called police.
Rescue workers cut the power supply at the home before officers removed the bodies for post mortem examinations.
Pol Capt Kaweewuth Boonruang, deputy investigation inspector at Rayong Muang police station, said: ‘’There were two deaths caused by electric shock.
”According to the investigation, the two dead were father and son of Australian citizenship.
‘’The father was repairing the pump of the pool in the pump house next to the pool.
”The son saw the incident and ran to help not knowing there was a leak and he was electrocuted. He had burns from the fire on his hands, his body and his face.”